Learning a new language is definitely one of the most rewarding things you can do. It’s also surprisingly easy if you have the right tools. Here are some pointers and tips on how to learn Indonesian fast:
Get a good phrasebook.
A good phrasebook is your ticket to understanding and being understood. Look for one with:
- A lot of common phrases, including some made-up words, like “I like a banana.”
- A pronunciation guide (if there isn’t one, learn a little bit about the language’s sounds before you start).
- Audio files so you can hear how words and phrases are supposed to sound in context.
Find a course.
There are many courses to choose from, so it’s essential to find one that suits your level. A good course will be tailored to your current language ability and should also be engaging and enjoyable enough for you to avoid getting bored of it.
My advice would be: ask your friends and family if they can recommend a course; look at the prices offered by different schools; check online reviews for any hints on how well each school teaches Indonesian (and whether they’re worth their money); try out a couple of free trial lessons from different schools; pick one that suits your schedule and budget!
Listen to Indonesian music and podcasts.
Listen to Indonesian music and podcasts.
- Listening to Indonesian music will help you pick up on the rhythm of the language, which has a very distinct sound.
- Listen to Indonesian podcasts or news, talk shows, comedy, and songs — all of these are great sources for learning new vocabulary.
Watch movies in Indonesian.
If you want to learn Indonesian fast, then it’s essential to watch your favorite movies in Indonesian. You can do this by watching them with subtitles or without them. If you are not sure on where to start, check out these great options:
- Watch a movie with Indonesian friends. This is an excellent way of practicing the language and getting context for what’s being said onscreen if you’ve never seen it before!
- Watch foreign films at the theater or at home with your family/friends (preferably both). Watching them alone is also fun because then it’s like an adventure!
- Stream some Netflix in your free time and look up all sorts of foreign films from around the world that have been translated into Indonesian so that everyone can enjoy them regardless of their proficiency level, age group, etcetera.
Read books in Indonesian.
- Use a dictionary.
- Read books that are interesting to you.
- Read books that are easy to understand.
- Read books that are not too difficult for your level, so you can focus on comprehension and understanding the language instead of worrying about mistakes and pronunciation.
Talk to the locals!
You will have to talk to the locals to learn the language as fast as possible.
This is not a very good idea because your Indonesian friends will be patient with you and correct all of your mistakes. But even though it may be embarrassing at times, accept their corrections! The best way to improve quickly is to make mistakes and then fix them. If they don’t point out the problem, how can we learn?
Of course, there’s another reason why talking with locals should be one of your top priorities: they’ll teach you new vocabulary words and even give you a lesson on some Indonesian culture! When in doubt about something unfamiliar or confusing, just ask away! They’re always willing to help out foreigners who take an interest in their country’s culture (and food).
Learning a new language involves hard work, but it’s worth it!
Learning a new language is a great way to expand your horizons. You will be able to communicate with more people and spend time with them, opening up opportunities for travel, work, and play.
Learning Indonesian can also help you understand the culture of Indonesia better and become familiar with their traditions.
So, there you have it! These are the best ways to learn Indonesian fast. Although it might initially seem complicated, you can quickly pick up the language if you have the right amount of drive. This article has provided some guidance on beginning your quest to speak Indonesian fluently!